Wednesday, March 06, 2013

This Week in Rankings


They Shot Pictures research continued this week, as I watched a half dozen more Johnnie To and/or Wai Ka-fai movies. I've a list of the 32 movies I've seen of theirs so far over at letterboxd, keeping in mind that ranking these movies is even more difficult tan usual for me. The order of much of that list changes every time I update it. Suffice it to say that To and Wai are responsible for an abnormally large number of really good movies.

In addition to watching these this week, I also handed out a bunch of fake awards (for the years 1932, 1964, 1957 and 1994) and reviewed Everybody in Our Family, a film I saw at the Vancouver International Film Festival last October. I have three more VIFF reviews to write (Emperor Visits the Hell, Amour & The Unlikely Girl) and I hope to get them done in the next couple of weeks, before baby #2 arrives.


These are the movies I've watched or rewatched in the last week or so, and where they place in my year-by-year rankings. I've linked to my brief comments about them on letterboxd where applicable.

Stage Door - 9, 1937
Bullet in the Head - 7, 1990
Peace Hotel - 33, 1995

Wu Yen - 15, 2001
Love on a Diet - 22, 2001
Fat Choi Spirit - 10, 2002
My Left Eye Sees Ghosts - 14, 2002

2 comments:

  1. sean when do u plan on reviewing rest of vancouver fest titles. curious to c what u think of amour.
    Josie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to get them done before the start of VIFF 2013. :)

    Right now the plan is to finish them off after I finish the Resident Evil thing I'm working on. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

    I liked Amour more or less, though I'm not a Haneke fan in general.

    ReplyDelete