Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Harry Potter And The Ring Of Fire

Watched a couple movies this weekend. The new Harry Potter is pretty good, but not great. The problem is that the fourth book, my favorite in the series, is also the hardest one to adapt into a film. After reading it a few years ago, I thought they'd be better off splitting it in half and making two movies a la Kill Bill. As is, it feels like a really good 4 hour movie has been cut down to two and half hours. Those two and a half hours are great, but there's just not enough time there to build the necessary context and character to make the many impressive action sequences compelling. If you've read the book, you'll probably like the movie. If not. . . .


Just finished Walk The Line a couple hours ago, after 14 hours of work. It was good, much better than Ray, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed. It's a great story, solidly directed and with terrific acting (and singing) by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. But I felt like there was something missing. Maybe it's just that I already knew the story of Johnny and June Carter Cash. I don't know, I need to think about it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment